Young Reds fight to the bitter end with 10 men against MetroStars

United’s Youth went down in a gruelling game away to MetroStars in Round 3 of the South Australian National Premier League 2018 Season, in a 4-3 goal-fest at T.K Shutter Reserve.

In what was one of the games of the season so far, the Young Reds found themselves in a demanding clash against a strong MetroStars team.

The Young Reds took early control of the game, playing the ball around their defence but were unable to penetrate the MetroStars line and get away a shot.

Fifteen minutes into the first half on a MetroStars breakaway, Matt Dawber was able to relieve some of the pressure on his teams’ defence with a clinical finish to give his side a 1-0 lead.

In the 42nd minute, United’s day became even tougher, when it’s captain Paul Wilson was given his marching orders for colliding with Matt Dawber as the last man.

Adding insult to injury, the resulting free-kick was dispatched by Christian Esposito, who rifled his strike past Reds goalkeeper Isaac Richards, giving MetroStars what seemed like an unassailable lead.

Before the match resumed, Adelaide Head Coach, Paul Pezos, went straight to his bench, making a triple substitution to dramatic impact, changing the pace of the game.

In the 53rd minute, Pacifique Niyongabire followed in a deadly free kick from Apostolos Stamatelopoulos and was able to sneak it past Isaac Carmody, halving MetroStars’ lead.

Niyongabire again showed great hunger 17 minutes later, following in a high ball that resulted in a mix-up between the MetroStars defence and Carmody, leaving the pacy winger with an open net finish to equalise for the Reds.

But it wasn't long before Esposito, against the run of play, was able to find his second of the match and restored MetroStars’ lead in the 74th.

In the dying minutes, a huge save from Richards set the tone for the upcoming injury time, as he denied MetroStars from increasing their lead in the 89th minute.

Lachlan Brook dramatically equalised when he found the back of the net after some tidy footwork, but Michael D’Aloiso popped-up to head home a late corner with just 20 seconds remaining.

Key Moments:

15' | GOAL: Matt Dawber is played in 2 on 1 and is able to place it past Richards to give Metro the lead.

33' | MetroStars on the break find a quick pass to Esposito who gets a shot off forcing a huge save from Richards to keep the deficit to one.

42' | RED CARD: United’s Paul Wilson sent off for a last man challenge on Strain. 1-0

44' | GOAL: MetroStars’ Esposito blasts a free kick through the wall and past Isaac Richards to increase MetroStars’ lead.

45’ | Yates attempts the spectacular with a curled shot from outside the box which seems destined for the top corner but is denied by Carmody.

53’ | GOAL AUFC! Pacifique Niyongabire follows in a deadly  Apostolos free kick and sneaks in the rebound off the goalkeeper!

64’ | Apostolos Stametalopolous in on goals cuts it back in the air to Niyongabire who’s acrobatic attempt just whips past the far post.

70' | GOAL: United’s Niyongabire follows in a high ball that results in a mix up in defence for an easy finish into an open net.

74' | GOAL: MetroStars’ Esposito finds himself free in the box and restores their lead on a quick break.

89’ | Huge save from Isaac Richards to keep United in the game.

90+3’ | GOAL: Celebrations from the Reds crowd at the T.K Shutter Reserve as Lachlan Brook equalises after some tidy dribbling.

90+4' | Goal D’Aloiso jumps high to head the ball into the back of the net and win the game for MetroStars. 4-3