The Red Army from Adelaide – the reigning Hyundai A-League Champions – head to Brisbane to face the Red Army from Redlands. But who are this PS4 NPL QLD club?
Here are some facts to keep handy ahead of Wednesday night’s Fox Sports broadcast game between Redlands United and Adelaide United at Perry Park.
- Established in 1918, Redlands United is one of Queensland’s oldest clubs. ‘The Red Devils’ are based in the Redland City suburb of Cleveland, around 25 minutes south-east of the Brisbane CBD.
- Success has been rare. Over 20 years separated its first Grand Final win in 1977 and a Queensland State League triumph in 2009. The club added a Brisbane Premier League title – its first premiership – in 2012 before joining the PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues the following year.
- Redlands’ early-season form has fallen away, winning just three of their last nine matches going into last weekend’s round. They’re clinging on to a Finals Series place with four rounds remaining but will need to improve to match last year’s third-placed finish – their best return across the competition’s first three years.
- Coach Matt Chandler is in his fifth year at the club since joining from New Zealand side Hawkes Bay United. The Englishman held that post while also leading the Futsal Whites national team.
- He might have handed over the armband in recent seasons but Scottish veteran Graham Fyfe remains the team’s talisman. The Celtic youth product notched 18 goals last season on his way to both the Golden Boot and Most Valuable Player awards. While less prolific this term, the 33-year-old scored both goals in the come-from-behind win which booked his side’s Round of 32 berth.
- Classy attacking midfielder Michael Lee, in his second stint at Cleveland Showgrounds, leads the team’s scoring this season with eight goals. The 25-year-old has stepped up to fill the creative void left by departed Frenchman Nico Bechar.
- This will be Redlands’ first appearance in the Westfield FFA Cup Round of 32, eliminating the likes of Brisbane City and Rochedale Rovers on the journey.
- The club's home ground is at the Cleveland Showgrounds, with the main pitch equipped with a 400-seat grandstand as well as an electronic scoreboard.