Glory edge out Reds

Perth Glory have returned to winning ways in the National Youth League through 3-2 victory over Adelaide United at Burton Park on Saturday afternoon.

Perth Glory have returned to winning ways in the National Youth League through 3-2 victory over Adelaide United at Burton Park on Saturday afternoon.

Perth dominated the game early and were rewarded for their efforts with first-half goals from striker Ndumba Makeche and captain Reece Vittiglia, along with a second-half strike from substitute Alec Jovic.

Liam Wooding pulled two goals back in the second-half in what was a better performance from Adelaide, but it wasn't enough for the Reds.

Adelaide couldn't have wished for a worse start when captain Evan Kostopoulos was forced from the ground in the opening minute with a back injury.

The injury was just a sign of what was to come for Adelaide as the Glory were relentless in attack for the next 15 minutes of play.

The Western Australian side's first opportunity came on thirteen minutes from Brandon O'Neill's corner, which created a frantic scramble in Adelaide's goalmouth.

Vittiglia was next to get in on the action in the 13th minute but his shot was saved by United keeper John Hall who rushed out to smother the ball, after the Perth captain was released into the box via a clever through ball from Byron Hudson.

However Perth's fierce pressure finally took its toll on Adelaide just a minute later when Makeche held off a number of challenges with pure body strength before rounding Hall and slotting the ball into an empty net.

Adelaide couldn't escape their own half and turned the ball over repeatedly when coming out of defence, but they finally created their first chance of the game on 19 minutes.

Jake Monaco raced down the right-wing and got to the by-line to cut the ball back to Allan Welsh primed on the edge of the area, but the forward blasted over.

It was only a momentary respite for the Reds who then conceded a second goal on 26 minutes.

O'Neill threaded another through ball in behind Adelaide's defence with ease to his captain Vittiglia who made no mistake from 10 yards comfortably sliding the ball past Hall.

United had a chance to pull one back before the half after Ian Kamau and Wooding combined well to create panic in Perth's box, but Devon Spence was alert to deny the Reds duo with two smart saves.

The second-half began much like the first with the Glory in control, although the WA side was happy to sit back and hit Adelaide on the counter.

Makeche created all the chances early in the half for Perth and was lucky not to put his side ahead if not for the brilliance of Hall in goals.

Hall denied Makeche on 53 minutes after he had broken free on the counter, before again stopping him only minutes later when Reds defender Jordan Elsey's across-the-face pass was intercepted by the Perth striker.

Hall's efforts seemed to inspire his team-mates who then came to life and began attacking Perth's defence with ease.

A re-spirited Adelaide found their way back into the game and got the goal they desperately needed on 62 minutes courtesy of Wooding.

The Qantas U19 Joey found room in a crowded area 20 yards out to fire a low drive past Spence into the bottom left-hand corner.

Adelaide's second-half efforts were brought undone however 15 minutes from time when Makeche wrestled his way into the box before squaring to Jovic who finished from point blank range.

The Reds looked to be finished for the game, but they ensured Perth experienced a nervy remaining final minutes when Wooding found his second in the 92nd minute after Monaco had supplied the forward with a smart pass from Teeboy Kamara's short corner.

Adelaide United 2 (Wooding 62, 92) Perth Glory 3 (Makeche 14, Vittiglia 26, Jovic 75)