A total of 19 double headers with Hyundai A-League fixtures and 14 broadcast matches headline the Westfield W-League 2016/17 draw.
Adelaide United Women will start and end their Westfield W-League 2016/17 season with double-headers at Coopers Stadium, battling it out against Melbourne Victory in Round 1 and Sydney FC in Round 14.
The women will also welcome the new year in with an away match against Melbourne City.
Across the entirety of the Westfield W-League season, Adelaide United Women will have their matches broadcast live on Fox Sports and ABS Broadcast three times, first in Round 1, then in Rounds 6 and 14.
Adelaide United will be making an announcement on its Head Coach and squad in the coming weeks.
The ninth edition of the Westfield W-League will kick-off on 5 November 2016 with a 14 round regular season before culminating in the Grand Final on Sunday 12 February 2017.
FOX SPORTS and ABC Television will broadcast 14 matches throughout the regular season as well as every match in the 2017 Finals Series.
CLICK HERE to download the Westfield W-League 2016/17 Season Draw.
For the first time a Westfield W-League match will be played straight after a Hyundai A-League encounter with Perth Glory and Western Sydney Wanderers FC to do battle in the opening round of the Westfield W-League at nib Stadium straight after the Round 5 Hyundai A-League match between the two clubs on Sunday 6 November.
In a coup for the Hunter region, all six of the Newcastle Jets' home matches will be played as Westfield W-League/Hyundai A-League double headers with five at Hunter Stadium and one in Coffs Harbour.
Reigning Westfield W-League Champions Melbourne City FC, who took all before them last season, open their title defence against the Newcastle Jets at C.B. Smith Reserve on 6 November. The broadcast match of the opening round will be the encounter between Adelaide United and Melbourne Victory from Coopers Stadium on 7 November prior to the Hyundai A-League match between Adelaide United and the Central Coast Mariners.
Similarly to last season, 2016/17 season will also feature two Sydney derbies (Rounds 2 and 9) and two Melbourne derbies (Rounds 4 and 12).
Head of the Westfield W-League, Greg O’Rourke says the 2016/17 draw reflects the growing interest and stature of women's football in Australia.
"Having 19 double headers puts the Westfield W-League on the main stage with the Hyundai A-League and gives football fans even more opportunity to get out and experience the best Australian domestic football has to offer,” said O’Rourke.
"Women's football is an important component of FFA's Whole of Football Plan and strategy over the next 20 years and females represent over 20 per cent of registered participants.
“This Westfield W-League draw, together with the calibre of players set to grace the field, has all of the elements to be the best season yet and will continue to encourage even more females to play and be involved in the game."
"FOX SPORTS and ABC TV are to be commended for their continued support of the Westfield W-League as they broadcast this increasingly popular product into lounge rooms around the country."
"There are a host of the Westfield Matildas returning home from overseas leagues to play in the Westfield W-League while there is set to be another quota of exceptional foreign talent on show so it augurs for a fantastic season ahead."
Westfield W-League 2016/17 Snapshot:
- Westfield W-League 2016/17 Season will kick off on Saturday 5 November 2016 with Brisbane Roar FC taking on Sydney FC at Dunmore Park
- There are 19 confirmed Westfield W-League/Hyundai A-League double headers throughout the season
- For the first time, a Westfield W-League match will be played after a Hyundai A-League match as part of the double header featuring Perth Glory and Western Sydney Wanderers FC at nib Stadium on Sunday 6 November 2016
- 57 matches in total = 54 regular season matches + 2 Semi-Finals + Westfield W-League Grand Final
- All of Newcastle Jets’ home matches will be played as Westfield W-League/Hyundai A-League double headers
- Melbourne Derby between Melbourne City FC and Melbourne Victory in Round 4 and Round 12
- Sydney Derby between Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC in Rounds 2 and 9
- Westfield W-League 2017 Finals Series will see the first placed team host the fourth placed team, and the second placed team host the third placed team in the first week. The winner of the each Semi-Final will advance to the Westfield W-League 2017 Grand Final which will be hosted by the higher ranked of the two teams.